The historic structure, as well as a lodge, stables, a garage, eight staff houses, and 235 acres was listed and sold by Jon Kohler & Associates for approximately $1.3 million. Considered to be “the most perfect example of Greek Revival architecture in America,” the antebellum structure is one of the few surviving homes built by British architect John Wind (1819–1863).
The seller was the Greentree Foundation, a nonprofit organization established in 1982 by Betsey Cushing Whitney. Westchester South Investments was the buyer. Earlier this year, a foundation created by Paddy Vanderbilt Wade purchased the bulk of Greenwood Plantation, which included the 1,200-acre “Big Woods,” the largest privately held tract of old-growth longleaf pine in the U.S. The last time Greenwood changed hands was in 1899 when it was acquired by Col. Oliver Hazard Payne of Cleveland.
Click here to read more.